Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Dr. Appointments, and Spock, and Birthday OH MY!

The month of October has been a busy one for me. I planned Oliver's 2nd birthday party and it was a success. I planned it for Tuesday October 28th but I wasn't feeling well and received some upsetting news so I decided to post pone it. I then decided that I couldn't celebrate his birthday after his day. By the way that is how the Skousens do things. I don't know how they can put off birthdays, holidays, and special occasions. That is not how I grew up and that I not how I like to celebrate. So we had Oliver's birthday party on his birthday which is Halloween! YAY! It was fun and exhausting for me. I am suppose to be on bed rest for the remainder of my pregnancy and that is just the most boring thing ever. At first it was easy but now it is getting harder to come up with things to do in bed. Anyway, back to my boy's birthday. We had family over and the missionaries. Those were the people that could make it on short notice. We had some neighbors stop by and wish him a happy birthday which was nice of them. On our street Oliver is the only kid and the elderly people LOVE him to death so he gets spoiled.
Quentin and I woke up that morning to Oliver knocking on his door. I jumped up and was all excited that my boy is 2. I turned to Q and told him that we have been parents for 2 years. He looked at me and said today is also Halloween, your favorite holiday. I was like,  "Oh yeah! Well I will worry about that tonight but right now it is all about Oliver!" We got dressed and  went to O's door. He had pushed a car under his door and I teased him by putting it close to the door where he could touch it but not grab it. He laughed. Q got his camera. We then opened the door and sang really loud, "Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to you" yaddy ya ya blah. You know the song. Oliver looked at us weirdly and kept looking from side to side. His expression looked like the one where you are wondering where the hidden cameras are to a prank that just happened to you. He was so confused. He ran out of his room, between us, and into the living room still looking for those hidden cameras. None were found. We told him happy birthday and gave him a present to open. He threw it several times away from him. I guess he didn't know what to do with it.
Q started making O's favorite breakfast which is eggs and sausage. I attempted giving him the present again and showed him how to open it but he wouldn't cooperate. So I opened a lot of the present and he figured out something was in there. He then opened it and liked his present.
We ate breakfast and then started to get ready for the party. Q decorated while I tried to figure out how to make frosting. I found a recipe on Pinterest but it wasn't turning out. The night before I made regular and gluten free cupcakes and my idea was to shape them into a car. Oh, the theme of Oliver's 2nd birthday party was Disney's Cars 2. Oliver loves cars so I thought it fitting.
I got frustrated with the frosting and wasn't feeling good so I decided to get myself ready for the party. That was a task. Anyway, Quentin asked if he could save the frosting before we bought some and I told him good luck buddy. Well, what do you know, he saved it and it tasted good. He is a lot better at experimenting and not looking at a recipe than I am. He makes things taste amazing. I don't know how he does it but he has talent people. So I started to frost the cupcakes and guests started arriving.
We sang happy birthday, ate cupcakes and ice-cream, and then opened presents which took the majority of the party time. He got some awesome presents. His favorite one is from the missionaries which is a plane that O can sit on and have someone drive him around in it. It is pretty legit. Q and I  worried that they spend money on it but they didn't. It was left in their apartment. These elders are awesome.
I had a book for everyone to sign so Oliver could remember this special day. After the party we had a little lunch and took naps. After we woke up we started to get ready for Halloween. I had one trick o' treater and that was fine with me. At least I got one. I only got one because he came early in the evening and I was gone the rest of the night. So who knows, I could have gotten more if I stayed home. Oliver was dressed up as Spock which he looked super cute in. He didn't keep the ears on so we decided he could be Kirk. We went trick o' treating to Grumpa's (or Brock as O calls him) store, then up to Nana's and visited with her for an hour. We went to B's house but she wasn't there and figured she was at the Snuffers (Q's sister's family) Halloween party. So we drove there and partied for an hour. It was grand fun. I was worn out at the end of the day. I think Oliver and Quentin were too.
Quentin and I were going to watch Hocus Pocus that night after O went down to bed but we were tired so we didn't.
And that was our 31st of October.

Looking at my notes there were other things that happened in October and they are:

Oct. 9th- After Q washed O's hands, he runs to me and wipes his wet hands on my pants. I asked him why he got me all wet and he said, "Because you're cwute!"

Oct. 11th- I finally got to stay home the whole day with us. (Again I have been on bed rest and I can't really take care of a toddler neither can Q because he has to work so Oliver has been going up to B's house everyday. It has been hard on me because I miss him like CRAZY!) I told him that he gets to stay home with mommy and daddy the whole day and his response was, "Whoopie" in a non excited tone of voice. Made me laugh.

Oct. 30th- I caught Oliver teaching one of his teddy bears how to pray and read the scriptures. It was a touching moment. I am glad that he recognizes the spirit in our home when we pray and read from the Book of Mormon. So important to teach them at a young age.

So those are my notes. Now an update on baby #2 also known as Rebekah!
I had a doctor's appointment October 24th. Everything was fine and we are both healthy. When the doctor started feeling my belly to see what position the baby was in and then gave a concerned face I started to worry. He said that the baby has turned and the head is up and not down like it was the week before. I said out loud, "Great!" in a sarcastic tone of voice. I told him that Oliver was breech and I don't want to go through another breech birth. Cesarean that is. He said that he thinks it was early enough to flip the baby so we scheduled that for Tuesday, October 28th.(oh that is why I moved Oliver's party, I remember now). Tuesday comes and I am sitting in a hospital bed having 2 nurses try to put an IV in my hand. It took four tries and I have the bruises and swelled up hand to prove it. It hurt. But they finally got it in and gave me some drug that relaxes my muscles in my tummy so the doctor can flip the baby. My doctor comes in and tries turning to the left and then to the right. Now last time they did this was with Oliver and I remembering it hurting like no other pain I've felt. So I was embracing myself for that. It hurt but it didn't hurt like it did with Oliver. I didn't even shed a tear. The doctor couldn't flip the baby and said that her feet were stuck or something like that. I was sadden by this news. He scheduled me for a Cesarean on November 11th. They all left so I could get dressed. I told Quentin that I really didn't want to go through that again and he said that he knows but he feels calmed about the whole situation. I told him that I was surprisingly calm about it too. So who knows, maybe God will have her turn around at the last second. Or maybe Heavenly Father is telling me that I am suppose to have children this way and to get use to it. The doctor told me that I might just be built to have breech babies. All well. I will get my children one way or another.

There you have it ladies and gentlemen. I will be a mommy times 2 in 8 days, if the baby doesn't come before then. How about some pictures? Yeah? Okay picture time:

Oliver, the little chef.

Is making hot dogs and he did a really really good job.  

My sunshine!

This is us on his birthday. Can you see the look of concern on his face. He thinks we are weird.

Him trying to hide from us singing to him.

And being cute while doing it.

Again, trying to hide from us. He also wiped his nose on the curtain.

Birthday party time!

He didn't really know why there were candles on his cupcake. 

I blew one candle out for him so he would know what to do. He blew the other one out ever so softly and it was adorable.

Opening presents time!

He needed some help.

But after a while he got the hang of it. He is looking up because Grumpa or Brock as Oliver calls him just opened his bedding present and was holding up the Lighting McQueen bedspread. 

The elders got him this airplane. Pretty cool huh?

He is suppose to be Spock but wouldn't keep the ears and hair on.

He likes his new book. He has gotten really good at the I-spy game.

Sitting on his airplane reading a book. That's how you do it ya know?

Not many pictures were taken in October because he was gone a lot of the time. We were also sick and not in the mood to take pictures of happenings. But at least we took some right? Hope you enjoyed this post. 


No comments:

Post a Comment